Monday, April 4, 2011

"No time for cameras, we'll use our eyes instead"

As you can see by the title, I once again don't have a picture for this week's update. (My friends brought cameras, so I guess when they upload them I'll put one on my blog). I also haven't sorted through my Lanzarote (Canary Islands) pictures which I promised a few weeks ago, but looks like its going to have to wait until May.
So, getting right into the theme of today's post, the quote in the title is by the song "Cameras" by Matt and Kim, whose concert I went to in Barcelona Saturday night. I got on the 16:15 train in San Sebastián Friday afternoon and arrived that night at 22:00. A few of my AFS USA friends (one from Madrid, one from Mallorca, and another from Catalunya) met up with me at the main train station in the center of the city (Barcelona Sants) and from there we went to a small restaurant where a few of us that had spent the entire afternoon travelling went and got dinner. Then another girl from AFS USA who also lives in a small town next to Barcelona met up with us along with a Canadian and a Danish girl, and finally an American friend who actually turned 17 that day. We celebrated his birthday a bit and went to the hostel to check in and get some rest. The next morning, after eating breakfast in the hostel, we met up with those that live near Barcelona and went for a walk through La Rambla, the main avenue in Barcelona, and we hung out for a bit in the Plaça Catalunya, which Las Ramblas runs through and is also a main plaza in the city. Las Ramblas is filled with shops, so we didn't stay there for long, just to meet up. Then, we explored the Barrio Gótico (Gothic Quarter) a bit, where I saw the "Catedral". I did get a sight of the Sagrada Familia, a famous church here, but didn't enter or get close.
Later, we bought bread and cheese in a fresh food market and headed off to eat lunch in a Wok next to the Arc de Triomf (the Barcelona copy). After eating there, we layed down in a patch of grass next to the enormous structure and relaxed for a bit there. Then, in preparation for the concert we went back to the hostel to drop our stuff off and hung out for an hour in that area because the concert area was really close by. At 20:30 we got to the theatre where they performed and ended up being early, but it was worth it because we were in the second row, right in front of the stage. The opening band was alright, but when Matt and Kim finally got on stage everyone couldn't help cheering for them. Kim, as always, had a smile on her face the entire show, and Matt cracked a few jokes every now and then. I think Kim was pretty into it, as she actually snapped the drum pedal in half, but as they said, "When you start breakin stuff, you know it's gonna be a great night." Also, later on in the show, Kim actually got us in the front rows to hold her up and, supported only by our arms, she danced for about 20 seconds to the beat of some rap song which I don't remember right now. It was pretty awesome, if I may say so myself.
Over all, it wasn't the longest concert I've been to, but I really enjoyed it and every second was worth it.