Sunday, October 10, 2010

10/10/10

Today is my host mom´s birthday. I can´t think of much more to say about that. Happy birthday!
I went to Bilbao last weekend for an AFS meeting. It was pretty calm, I got to talk to the other AFSers in the region and the volunteers too, and I got to see Bilbao. I have another orientation on the 16th and 17th (overnight) which should be fun.
But aside from AFS, everything´s going really well for me here. I had a soccer game yesterday (the first time I was able to play, because certain papers had to reach Madrid before I could play in the games) and I scored a goal, which was pretty exciting. I´m starting to understand television and I can talk to my friends with a little less struggle (the only trouble I´m having is conjugating verbs without thinking, but they correct me when I say something wrong and they´re really patient with me, so I´m really happy about that too).
Overall I couldn´t be more content with my family, friends and school. I´ve been put up to a challenge with learning Castellano and basque at the same time, but since I don´t actually have to learn basque (of course, I really want to learn) I can take my time, which is better since it´s very difficult. Naturally my friends speak in basque more than Castellano, but on the weekends they talk more in spanish than basque, especially when I make more of an effort to talk and be part of the conversation. I´m content either way because when they speak in basque I´m getting used to listening to the language and trying to pick out the words I know.
The weather is really confusing (one minute it´s raining and the next its sunny). The food is really great, so all in all, I´m really happy with everything right now. I have to go eat breakfast now, so I´ll probably write more next weekend. We have fiestas this week so monday and tuesday I don´t have school.
Anyway, until later.