Thursday, September 9, 2010

The start of it all

It´s been a while since I´ve updated this blog, and a lot has changed since then. On the 1st of September, my adventure began. My dad and I drove to the AFS orientation in New York City and I spent the night there with all the other AFS kids leaving from the airport there. I got to know the kids going to Spain (of course), France, Austria, Switzerland and Turkey. On September 2nd, all 31 kids going to Spain were dropped off at the airport in New York City and after checking all of our luggage and passing through security, we were on our own. We managed to handle everything smoothly and soon enough, we were on the airplane, off to start our exchange in Spain. At the orientation in Madrid, we met all of the kids from other countries coming to Spain as well and talked as much as we could for the day that we were together. Around midnight, most kids went to bed. The few of us that couldn´t sleep or didn´t want to went outside to talk to the volunteers. At around two, I was the only student left. For the most part, I listened to the volunteers (most of them under 25 years old, I think) as they talked in Castillian, but I did manage to talk in English for a while with a volunteer from the Basque Country, which is where I was headed. Two of the volunteers and I actually stayed up all night talking about their experiences, my worries, etc.
Of course, the next day arrived and we all parted, each of us taking a bus to our respective parts of the country. I went on the bus to San Sebastian with one other girl going to live in the city and one volunteer that helped us with everything.
We arrived in San Sebastian 6 hours later, and so the exchange began...